Think about a time when you completed an assignment without fully understanding what the teacher was looking for. How might knowing the “ins and outs” of a rubric change the way you approach an assignment? Connect your experience to what you learned today about the AP Lang Argument Essay rubric.

Prompt: Think about a time when you completed an assignment without fully understanding what the teacher was looking for. How might knowing the “ins and outs” of a rubric change the way you approach an assignment? Connect your experience to what you learned today about the AP Lang Argument Essay rubric.
Prompt Response: A time when I completed an assignment without fully understanding what the teacher was looking for was my individual written argument in AP Seminar. It was a 2,000 word defensible essay that would be written over the course of months, and I was too lazy to fully overview the rubric. I looked at it some, but never did a deep dive. I ended up getting a three on AP Seminar, but don't know what I got on my written argument. If I had known the "ins and outs" of the rubric I would've changed the way I approached this assignment by writing it to get specific points, such as sophistication. By learning the AP Lang Argument Essay rubric I discovered that I can get a 5/6 by merely filling out the requirements of the essay, meaning having a thesis and 6 pieces of evidence with commentary.
Summary: In class today, we went over the AP Lang Argument Essay rubric and learned how to write an introductory paragraph with a thesis statement.
Reflection: It's very easy to score highly on the written portion of the AP Exam by simply understanding what the rubric is asking students to do and then writing to meet the requirements.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

After reviewing the feedback on your argument essay, identify one thing you did well and one area you need to improve. Explain what you will do differently the next time you write an AP Lang argument essay.

Describe one thing that makes you different from other people.

How has living in or around Atlanta influenced the way you see your community, culture, or identity? If you were speaking to someone unfamiliar with Atlanta, what would you want them to understand about your community?