Think about an argument or disagreement that you wish you could have handled differently. What happened, what was your goal, and what would you do differently now? Use at least one idea from Chapters 1–3 of Thank You for Arguing in your response.
Prompt: Think about an argument or disagreement that you wish you could have handled differently. What happened, what was your goal, and what would you do differently now? Use at least one idea from Chapters 1–3 of Thank You for Arguing in your response.
Prompt Response: My mom and I had an argument over whether I should have rushed home from golf to feed the dog or not. We ended up somewhat arguing and somewhat fighting, but in the end she won. I tried using logic to win points, but she only wanted to fight. If I were to have this situation happen again I would concede points in order to achieve my new goal of not getting in trouble instead of my old goal of winning the argument.
Summary: In class today, we discussed the art of arguing and the importance of setting a goal for our arguments. In order to win an argument one must not try to dominate the other person, but instead come to an agreement.
Reflection: I found the book "Thank You for Arguing" very intriguing and I want to read more of it.
Comments
Post a Comment